Family dynasty Schmidt – History
On February 7, 2018, the company GS Kunststofftechnik Gebrüder Schmidt KG in Idar-Oberstein celebrated its 200th anniversary.
It is the oldest industrial company in the district of Birkenfeld and is also one of the top group of the oldest German industrial companies in family ownership. The eventful history of the company spans a period of time in which not only the company has to reinvent itself again and again in order to adapt to changing market situations – true to the company motto: “Only change is constant”. It begins before the industrial revolution in the stagecoach era and leads through two centuries in which mankind has permanently changed the face of the earth. The beginnings of today’s system supplier and specialist for plastic injection molding go back to the early 17th century, when the ancestors of the company founder Johann Carl Schmidt started as a blacksmith in Oberstein. The year 1818 becomes the official founding year, from this point in time the continuous stock of the company is documented by business journals.
Gebrüder Schmidt 1818 – today
The foundation stone was laid by Johann Karl Schmidt as early as 1818 when he founded the Gebrüder Schmidt KG metal goods factory in the center of Idar-Oberstein. At that time, the focus of business activities was initially on metal processing and finishing for the local jewelery industry. They had their own electroplating shop.
The company Gebrüder Schmidt KG has always been a big step ahead of its time: in 1955, shortly after the German chemist and father of polymer chemistry Hermann Staudinger received the Nobel Prize for his work in 1953, the processing of plastic materials using injection molding machines was started. The company’s own range of products included office supplies, desk accessories, smoking accessories and toothbrush mugs and was already being sold around the world at the time. Once again, the signs of the times had been recognized and work was quickly carried out towards specializing in the up-and-coming field of plumbing. Many of the patents still in use today date from this phase. The company continued to expand.
A devastating fire in 1995 destroyed large parts of the traditional production facility. The current 75 employees – some of whom are still employed by us today – helped with great commitment to clear away the rubble. In 1996, the new beginning came in the form of moving to the newly built production facility in the Michelswiese commercial area on a total area of 15,000 m² with its own logistics center. The product range was streamlined again: the focus was on plastics processing for the global sanitary and cleaning market. In recent years, we have positioned ourselves somewhat more broadly in order to meet customer requirements.
Today you will get to know us under the name GS Kunststofftechnik as a traditional injection molder who, as a system supplier with meanwhile 160 loyal employees, can convince domestic and international customers from the areas of hygiene, sanitation, mechanical engineering, high-quality cosmetics and household appliances. In addition to our 200 years of manufacturing know-how and almost 60 years of expertise in plastics processing, our long-standing customers particularly appreciate our high level of flexibility and innovative strength.